16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
2 Corinthians 5:17 When a person is born again he moved from darkness to light.
God is a spirit and anyone that want to worship Him in spirit and in truth. When you do so, you are no more an ordinary person you will be transformed. To walk in the spirit is to be hungry for God. To walk in the spirit is to be hungry for God. To walk in the spirit is to allow the Holy Spirit to lead you, when the Holy Spirit led you, you will not make mistake and you will not be misdirected. In John 14:26, if you walk in the spirit, Holy Spirit will teach you, guide you, help and empower you for service. By doing so, you will live a life that please God.
1 Corinthians 2:10-16
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
The above passage is very important. To be able to know the mind of God, you must have the ability to walk in the spirit. When you walk in the spirit, you will subdue, control, tame and crucify the flesh, because the flesh is the long standing adversary of the spirit. It is what made God to shorten the life span of human beings on earth. Flesh is the unruly force which strives with, the spirit of God instead of yielding to Him. It indulges itself praise and enjoys flatteries. Acts 12:12-23. It is the evil weight that will weigh down people during rapture. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17. Also in Romans 8:5-11 If you don’t walk in the spirit as a worker in God’s vineyard, you will be controlled by the flesh.
WALKING IN THE SPIRIT AS WORKERS, LEADERS AND PASTORS.
- You must be different: As a worker, your calling is to transform the society and not to conform to it. You ought to be different. Don’t be like everybody. Everyone wants to dress or speak like somebody is doing. Jesus must be your role model. To flow with crowd is to lost in the crowd. Be different. Be a pace setter, not a pace-keeper. Be a front liner not in the band wagons. Be the person others want to be like not the one struggling to be like others. Matt. 5:14 ‘Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid’. When everybody is sitting then stand. When others are standing, you ought to standout. Finally, dare to be outstanding when everyone standout.
- You must avoid jealousy: Jealousy is a product of life without vision. Learn to celebrate greatness and good things. When you take eyes off your focus, goal or pursuit in life or your primary assignment and become jealous of other people’s success. Once you lose focus, speed is lost; once speed is lost, success is lost and when success is lost, impact is lost. Many are facing challenge today because they never celebrated success, progress or good things in the lives of other people. Bad will is the origin of witchcraft. Whosoever criticized successful people has the spirit of witchcraft. Such class of people are not bothered about failures. Hence, you must run away from them. Romans chapter 5 verses 8-11; For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. In the book of 1st John chapter 1 from verses 5-10, you are being pointed at how to walk in the light, walk with one another i.e verses 5-7, likewise in verses 8-10 on how to walk in forgiveness. See scripture.. 1st John 1:5-10 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. With this message of purification, walking in the spirit is to be “in step” with the spirit by following His leading and remain in His control. It is to be governed by the spirit of God. It is the setting of your mind and focusing on serving Christ. Therefore, as a worker in God’s vineyards, you will be controlled by the flesh if you are not walking in the spirit.
- Ability to speak the truth always: To walk in the spirit, you must tell people the truth and don’t deceive them. Don’t be afraid of speaking the truth. Be courage in speaking the truth of the gospel. Speak the truth, live the truth and stand in the truth. Walking in the spirit demand that we live and practice the truth.
- Be humble and exalt Jesus: The book of John chapter 3 verse 30 says, He must increase, but I must You must lift up Jesus for all to see and humble yourself just like John the Baptist who exalted Christ. You must point people to Jesus. Jesus must be your focus, your message and your prayers.
- Possess the ability of praying in the spirit: In the book of Jude 20 (But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,) – you must be able to pray in the spirit. Careful study of the scripture in the book of Romans chapter 8 reveals that you cannot please God while you are in the flesh. See what verses 14 and 26 – For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. God is a spirit and anybody that want to relate to Him must do it in spirit. See also John 4:20-24. Praying in the spirit brings spiritual refreshment and you will receive more power. John 7:36-39.
- Be in tune with the Lord: To walk in the spirit, you must be tune with the Lord and have good relationship with Him.
- You must be totally committed and sold out to God.
- Embark on the never ending journey of personal growth: Self-development – continues learning, develop yourself and become updated. Read, learn study good books and materials.
- You must let your Bible to be your greatest companion.
- Be diligent: Refuse to overlook things. Invest time in doing things in proper ways. See proverb 22:29 – Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.
- Be holy within and without: 1st Peter 1:16 says- “be ye holy for I am holy”.
KINDS OF WORKERS IN THE CHURCH
- Business Men Workers: These set of people are in the ministry in order to make money. They are not Heaven minded nor Godly. They engage in lying and fantastic promises.
- Funky Workers: They are worldly, canal and ungodly people who watered down the gospel to please people. They dresses anyhow they want and allow anything in the church. The issue of sin, evil, Hell Fire or righteousness does not bother them. Their main focus is miracle, blessing and breakthrough. Sin of immorality, extra-marital affairs and premarital sex are overlooked- all in the belief that God is a loving God.
- Yesterday’s Workers: These classes of workers were called by the Lord but they are not in tune with the moves of God currently. They lack vision, purpose and direction in the church.
- Political Workers: See Micah 3:11 – The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Jeremiah 10:21 says For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered. As you can see, they were once servants of the Lord but have now backslidden. They no longer have time to pray and seek the face of the Lord to know Him more. They want to make it by fire by force and because of it, they engage in church politics. They are very cunning, crafty, arm-twisting and can speak from both sides of the mouth. They are spiritually dry and unable to get fresh insight from God. They are specialist on Character Assassinations. Amend your ways.
- Occultic Workers: 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
- Sick Workers: These groups of Workers are physically healthy but spiritually, they are sick. They are sick because they don’t know the Lord. Their lifestyle are sinful, ungodly, evil, immoral and wicked. They struggle with sin; they take out their anger, sin and frustration on the people. They also lack basic leadership skills. They are bad examples and are not role model. They operate under curse and disobedience.
WHY YOU MUST WALK IN THE SPIRIT
- You are very important to God’s plan in the world.
- The harvest is plenteous and labourers are still few.
- God wants you to do more than what you are doing now.
- Because of God’s deposits, anointing, gifts and investments on your life is great.
- You are born a star and you must shine brightly anywhere.
- Our god is not a mediocre or a minimum God.
- Your impact here on Earth determines your reward in Heaven.
- God wants you to be a voice and not an echo.
- You are to be a Contributor and not only a Consumer.
- To be among the best and not the rest.
- To show that you are living.
Out of touch with the headquarters (Heaven)–
- Loss of vision and focus
- Pride and arrogance
- Rigidity and narrow mindedness
- Being consumed by past successes and achievements
- Moving with wrong people
- Demonic influences and curses.